NXP Unites Essential Industry 4.0 Technologies into a Modular Platform to Ease Industrial IoT Development
The flexible, modular i.MX RT Industrial Drive Development Platform from NXP Semiconductors is designed to advance smart, secure industrial IoT applications with multi-motor control, deterministic communications and a foundation for industrial cybersecurity.
NXP® Semiconductors debuted the i.MX RT Industrial Drive Development Platform, a comprehensive modular solution that unites essential technologies for the next era of secure Industrial IoT (IIoT). The platform is built on the i.MX RT1170 crossover MCU family and EdgeLock® SE05x secure element. It supports multi-axis motor control, deterministic Ethernet with time-sensitive networking (TSN) communication, human machine interfaces (HMI), and next-generation security and cyber resilience to simplify development for Industry 4.0 applications, including robot arms, mobile service robots, 3D printers, multi-axis machinery, AC drives and servo drives.
Why It Matters
Industrial systems increasingly rely on secure, smart, connected devices to advance the automation of factories, buildings and infrastructure. These Industry 4.0 devices require increasingly complex security, deterministic real-time communications and autonomous control technologies. The i.MX RT Industrial Drive Development Platform speeds time to market by allowing system designers to leverage a single platform to more quickly develop and test a variety of complex industrial use cases that incorporate a security-by-design approach.
“Intelligent industrial applications must securely communicate, share data and interact with both their users and with other machines. The i.MX RT Industrial Drive Development Platform provides flexibility to develop and test advanced IIoT applications that require security-by-design. This new platform simplifies the development of a new generation of industrial devices that will drive the transition to truly smart factories.”
Jeff Steinheider, Vice President and General Manager, Industrial Edge Processing, NXP
The i.MX RT Industrial Drive Development Platform is built on the dual-core i.MX RT1170 family, which features a 1GHz Arm® Cortex®-M7 core, as well as a Cortex-M4 core. Built with a security-by-design approach and an embedded Common Criteria EAL 6+ certified EdgeLock SE05x secure element, the platform helps ease the path to system-level ISA/IEC 62443-4-1,-4-2 security compliance.
About the i.MX RT Industrial Drive Development Platform
- Supports a variety of interfaces, including TSN Ethernet, high-speed CAN-FD, secure CAN, RS485, digital I/O, software configurable analog inputs and near-field communications (NFC) for fast credential commissioning
- Supports up to 4 motors
- i.MX RT1176 crossover MCU combines low power consumption with a high performance Arm Cortex-M7 core at 1 GHz (800 MHz in industrial qualified version) and integrated on-chip security, including secure boot and crypto engines
- NAFE next generation Analog Front End (AFE) platform with software configurable analog inputs for high-precision data acquisition and condition monitoring systems
- GD3000 field effect transistor pre-driver designed for three-phase motor control and extended supply voltage range 6.0 V to 60 V
- PF5020 multi-channel power management IC (PMIC) with integrated functional safety options, designed for high-performance automotive and industrial applications
- TJA115x CAN transceiver with hardware firewall, intrusion detection and intrusion prevention support. Offers a hardware-based, non-cryptographic foundation for layered security on CAN networks
- TJA146x CAN Signal Improvement Capability transceiver with standby mode, implements CAN FD communication at 5 Mbps
- PN7462 NFC Cortex-M0 all-in-one microcontroller for NFC reading, with optional contact interface for access control
- EdgeLock SE05x certified EdgeLock secure element family with extended crypto functionalities for multi-(I)IoT use cases