The Bremen police requires ID cards that contain an IC with security certification and provide multiple digital access functionalities.
The design must have a high recognition value in order for citizens to easily identify police officers and their areas of responsibility. In addition, counterfeiting protection is required for the ID cards.
The Bremen Police aims to manage ID cards and RFID reader infrastructure, without being dependent on third parties.
Aims of the Bremen Police
- Digitization of access control
- Guaranteeing counterfeit protection of civil servant ID cards
- Simplification of civil servant identification for citizens
- Increased safety in police stations
- Control of digital ID card applications and reader infrastructure
The Solution of the Bremen Police
The Bremen Police uses RFID-enabled smart cards for access control in police stations as well as for identification towards the public.
In police stations, RFID readers are mounted at access points to secure areas and at computer terminals. Officers and civil servants gain access to the IT systems and secure areas by tapping the RFID-enabled smart card against the RFID reader. The information on the RFID chip is read, the officer authenticated and access is granted. Unauthorized persons are denied access.
Depending on the area of responsibility, civil servants use different colored smart cards. These increase the recognition value and simplify identification towards the public.
The smart cards are certified by the German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI). The system management as well as smart card distribution are controlled by the Bremen Police. There are plans to add more functionalities to the civil servant ID cards in the future.
Hardware & Software
- LEGIC Identsystems – LEGIC advant AFS4096 Applet Transponder
- LEGIC Identsystems – 4000 Series Security Module
- exceed Card Group AG - RFID Transponder
- Combination of identification and access control functions on a single ID card
- 100% control of reader and access control infrastructure at the Bremen Police
- Simplification of identification of civil servants towards the public
- Expandable smart card functions
Questions? Get in contact with the editorial team!