The goal of Zeppelin Rental was to enhance the rental process and automatically register the equipment and machines at the locations. Previously, this work was carried out manually on paper. The standardization and automation of the process was intended to enable faster equipment availability and more efficient use of resources and space.
The entire rental fleet - from the vibratory plate to the crawler excavator - was labelled with active RFID tags. A reading infrastructure was installed at each location. Two reading points in the outdoor area with a detection range of around 150 metres each and two reading points in the indoor area with a range of around 35 metres each, cover the entire site.
Thus, all areas of a rental station are fully covered. Each RFID transponder is directly connected to the Zeppelin Rental ERP system via interface. This interface enables each rental device to be recorded automatically and in real time as soon as it is recognized by a reading point at the location.
Hardware & Software
- Kathrein Solutions: IoT-Suite CrossTalk
- The investment in the RFID-Solution and the integration of the RFID-Software Crosstalk from Kathrein Solutions leads to a significant increase in process efficiency in incoming and outgoing goods as well as in inventories.
- The employees of the rental stations can use this time for an even more intensive exchange with the customers.
- In addition, Zeppelin Rental benefits from faster equipment availability thanks to real-time detection of the rental equipment.
- The real-time data is also an important factor for web-based customer services such as the online rental platform.
- Other projects in which the implementation of Crosstalk can be used are currently being evaluated.
The trade magazine Wireless IoT in Logistics 2018/19 offers more than 15 articles on these topics: Innovative Wireless IoT technologies (RFID, LPWAN, BLE or WLAN), integration of solutions, Best Practice, and interviews with users and technology experts. Order your digital magazine here!