Achieving Intelligent Production with Balluff's innovative Smart Automation and Monitoring System (SAMS)!
Powerful, smart sensor technology and multifunctional solutions in each part of the system are the basis for increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of machines and systems. In addition to process data, they also provide valuable status data.
Balluff's innovative Smart Automation and Monitoring System (SAMS) provides a system to uniformly manage the automation of the entire production line. The intelligent components open up new possibilities, from condition monitoring of machines and systems to predictive maintenance and completely new business models. High storage costs, missing data from your machines and systems, and time-consuming troubleshooting in the event of unexpected equipment failure are a thing of the past.
Where Data originates and how it can be used
The primary tasks of automation components are actions like measuring, detecting, identifying or controlling. The SAMS devices have additional codition monitoring functions directly on board which provide users with further useful data. These include temperature detection, vibration monitoring or signal quality display. The concrete benefit is that additional hardware, which is normally required for such tasks, is no longer required. This means that the number of parts used can be significantly reduced.
A PING function allows users to locate components in the plant quickly and easily. This is particularly helpful when individual components report values that indicate irregularities in the process. This directly informs the responsible personnel to intervene immediately.
Multi functions, including an operating hours counter, integrated counting function and a boot cycle counter, provide further background information that enables a better assessment of recorded status information. All values can be analyzed and evaluated in more detail, enabling a well-founded diagnosis of the condition of machines or the entire system. The likely onset of faults can be identified at an early stage, and suitable measures initiated based on this information and avoid a failure. In this way, the foundation for a transparent system is laid out and the performance of production increased at the same time.
Data for Intelligent Manufacturing
The Smart Automation and Monitoring System also proves its contribution to the Industrial Internet of Things (IloT). In combination with Balluff's powerful network technology and cloud computing, SAMS can be used to implement intelligent production. For example, production and IT levels can be seamlessly linked via an edge gateway.
This means that nothing stands in the way of comprehensive evaluation and use of data. And to add yet more value, all components of the Smart Automation and Monitoring System can be operated in the same way from the IT level and configured via standard data profiles. This makes for easy installation and parameterization as well as contactless teaching, for example via a mobile device.
SAMS Components in Use in Beer Brewing
- When manholes are open, neither drives of agitators nor valves may be in operation. Inductive safety sensors take over the manhole monitoring here without a magnetic counterpart or actuator.
- The intelligent combination of industrial networks with the IO-Link communication standard is the ideal way for ever faster, more flexible, more efficient and more versatile production. This gives you a powerful infrastructure to reliably collect and manage the growing volume of data. You often only need an IO-Link network module (BNI) to collect and pass on the data. With the Balluff Engineering Tool (BET), the IO-Link network module can be parameterized and commissioned easily, safely and quickly. In harsh environmental conditions, the requirements for IO-Link network modules are particularly high. This is because cleaning the system with aggressive media places the highest demands on the modules. The IO-Link network modules from Balluff have a robust plastic housing in a washdown-ready design and are Ecolab certified. This makes them particularly suitable for use in this environment. The modules are equipped with 8 IO-Link ports each; each network module can process up to 16 digital inputs/outputs. The corresponding interfaces enable direct communication to the IT level.
- Coupling panels serve the manual change point between different pipe routes. Via the coupling bends, the pipelines are connected in different combinations. The query of the coupling bend position is carried out with an inductive sensor (BES), which is resistant to abrasive and aggressive media due to its housing. Their luminous displays are protected against destruction.
- In the mash tun the ground malt is mixed with water into a mash and heated. Precise temperature measurement is essential here.
- After the fermentation process, the young beer matures for a certain time in storage tanks before it can be bottled. Balluff BSP pressure sensors reliably detect the level in the tank.
- The level detection in food production requires sensors that meet these particularly high requirements. Our capacitive immersion probe (BCS) offers convincing performance with its adhesion compensation, detecting the level absolutely reliably, even in the presence of foam. The steel tanks used are prepared for the hygienic installation of the sensors by mounting fittings.
All listed components have the Smart Features of the Smart Automation and Monitoring System (SAMS) for condition detection on board, which can be use for further analyses and predictive as well as preventive maintenance.