As Turkey's largest infrastructure project ever, İstanbul Airport consists of numerous different buildings, all of which have appropriate operating procedures and systems that require maintenance and constant monitoring. Equipment and machinery are spread over a total area of more than 76,5 million square meters. How can the area-wide control and predictive maintenance of the entire airport be carried out?
- Reduce travel times
- Automatically generate monitoring data over the entire airport area
- Realizing predictive maintenance
- Digitize asset management
The LoRaWAN technology proved to be a key solution, which will subsequently be implemented continuously throughout the airport to ensure seamless real-time monitoring of all systems.
The airport currently uses 107 IoT gateways to cover information collection across the entire infrastructure. A total of 650 sensors for monitoring temperature and humidity are installed in the buildings. The energy monitoring of 350 systems is managed by a total of about 350 LoRaWAN modules.
The İstanbul airport employs around 600 people for all infrastructure maintenance. Six different IT applications have already been implemented at the airport, with more to follow. Up to six different projects are evaluated daily for the use of IoT technology. Currently, 6,000 LoRaWAN modules are in use and there are 5,500 WiFi access points throughout the airport.
- Monitoring of all machines and devices
- Travel times massively reduced
- Optimized maintenance work planning
- Predictive maintenance possible
- Energy-saving LoRa technology enables long sensor runtimes without changing batteries
- All assets at a glance digitally at any time
- Over the next few years, there will be a continuous implementation of Wireless IoT applications in various systems within the airport.
- A mobile Android application is also planned, which will bring a task management application to the smartphones of the maintenance team.
- The digitalization of personnel administration, especially of the maintenance team, is also on the development roadmap of İstanbul Airport.
Questions? Get in contact with the editorial team!