Making Document Disposal Convenient and Even More Secure!
Rhenus Data Office, a service provider offering secure document logistics solutions to more than 50,000 customers all over Europe, and LEGIC Identsystems have partnered to create a digital security-enabled container to facilitate secure document disposal.
The core processes for secure data destruction as well as document destruction and disposal are subject to the highest quality requirements. As part of this service, Rhenus provides customers with secure disposal containers.
Until now, these containers were secured by mechanical locks, involving all the inherent drawbacks of mechanical access control systems such as physical key handling, key loss management, manual access logs, etc. Additionally, mechanical locks meant that Rhenus had to keep large, customer-specific container inventories with specific locks in stock. This made their logistical processes more complex, expensive, and less flexible.
Enter LEGIC and Digital Container Access Control
To modernize their secure containers, Rhenus teamed up with LEGIC and Lehmann Locks to design a secure digital solution based on RFID contactless access control and LEGIC’s end-to-end IoT Security Platform. Existing containers were retrofitted with the “Rhenus e-lock” containing a LEGIC SM-6300 Security Module. The digital lock was developed and provided by Lehmann Locks to replace physical keys with RFID smartcards. Based on the LEGIC Security Platform, encrypted wireless communications from container to backend system facilitates smartcard management, auditability, and process integrity both on- and offline.
“While LEGIC’s security technology is impressive and delivered all that was promised, the key factor was their support and consulting and the assistance provided by their partners at Lehmann Locks who could design and install the envisioned solution according to our needs”, said Michael Wiegmann, Managing Director Rhenus Data Office GmbH.
- Elimination of physical keys which are easily lost or copied and require cumbersome manual storage and handling.
- Authorization management is easy. RFID smartcards can be easily assigned, configured, activated, and de-activated.
- Automated logging of container openings enables reliable auditing and quality control as human error is eliminated.
- Simplified logistics: Customer-specific containers are replaced by generic containers which can be customized as needed and on-location. Existing RFID smartcards continue to work with new containers as they are replaced.
- High security as locks, data storage and communications implement the highest commercially available encryption AES-128 combined with Secure Element technology. RF communications cannot be decoded, key data stored in the lock is inaccessible and RFID smartcards cannot be copied.
- Offline operation: containers function with no network connection needed.
- New features are easily implemented via software such as creation of authorization hierarchies adapted to a company’s structure as well as possible future upgrades to mobile access.
- LEGIC’s extensive off-the-shelf expertise and partner network resulted in a solution that was quickly defined, created, and delivered.