In a previous project, larger instruments and racks were already labeled with RFID tags. Smaller instruments such as staples or scissors were identified using colored plastic rings or barcodes. The use of different identification technologies prevented the digital evaluation of surgical data for the analysis of the specific utilization of surgical equipment.
Therefore, the objective was:
- Labeling of the entire OR equipment with an identification technology
- Maximizing patient safety
- Documentation of the shortest surgery duration per surgery category
- Reliable disposition of required instruments and materials
- Optimizing the utilization of each instrument
Instruments and materials are labeled with miniaturized RFID transponders that are resistant to sterilization processes. The localization of tagged instruments is possible in real time, thus increasing patient safety and minimizing liability cases. The reduced time required for manually prepared surgical documentation and the digital documentation of the surgical equipment reduces and optimizes the duration of surgeries.
The end-to-end insight into the data of utilization for each individual instrument is transparent. Repair and maintenance of the instruments can be planned more optimally. The use of RFID in the overall solution "Safe Surgical Signature" also enables automatic notification of personnel in the preparation area.
- Real-time transparency of the instruments and materials used during a surgery
- Automatic identification and tracing of surgical instruments
- Increasing patient safety
- Monitoring abrasion conditions and maintenance
- Optimization of the scheduling of operations
Wireless IoT Technologies in HEALTHCARE 2019/2020 as an E-Magazine.
Questions? Your contact to the editorial team!