When trying on and trying out new running shoes, customers in sports retailers are limited in space, and even the treadmill is often not sufficient for a personal endurance test. In most cases, to find out whether the shoe fits, is only noticeable after hours and under hard conditions on uneven ground.
If you want to take part in the test-campaign in Vienna, you can register on a website with your name, e-mail address and telephone number. The telephone number will be released within 24 hours and rental can begin. On the display of the shoe rental machine at Franz-Josefs-Kai, which has a capacity of around 500 pairs of shoes, the runner only has to enter his PIN and select the desired footwear in the appropriate size.
If the shoes do not fit perfectly, the runner can withdraw up to three different shoes. The shoes can then be extensively tested for 24 hours. When returning the shoes, the runner can decide whether to buy them or not.
An RFID transponder is integrated into the sole of the shoe. In the shoe dispenser, a UHF reader is attached to the canal shaft above the shoe dispenser. The reader also is resistant to large temperature differences and is also protected against humidity. The reader confirms the successful identification optically and acoustically.
Hardware & Software
- Deister Electronic: UHF transponder UST 2080
- Deister Electronic: compact UHF RFID reader TSU 100
- Running shoes are available for testing 24/7
- The "Unmanned" concept allows full service without the additional effort of sending employees on site
- The data generated in the reader is saved on the Adidas server and managed in the cloud. This ensures protection against misuse, as each shoe model can only be borrowed once.
The trade magazine Wireless IoT in Retail 2018/19 offers more than 15 articles on these topics: Innovative Wireless IoT technologies (RFID, LPWAN, BLE or WLAN), integration of solutions, Best Practice and interviews with users and technology experts. Order your digital magazine here!